Pin It button on image hover

Saturday 18 April 2015

Orchid Trio by Glenda

Hello everyone - I've got a quick card to show you today, inspired by Lesley's recent card (which you can see here).

I have used the clear Awesome Orchids set to create a card in sepia tones.


I stamped the flower heads first, then carefully placed the stems to connect up with the flowers.  I used Adirondack Espresso ink on watercolour paper and just touched a wet paintbrush to the image in the areas where I wanted some shading.

I cut each flower to the same size and layered each one onto dark brown card.  The card background is stencilled with a delicate stencil (called North Star) using the same Espresso inkpad and a large stencil brush.

I stuck the stamped panels on to the ivory card base with foam pads and stamped the sentiment with Versafine Vintage Sepia ink at the bottom.

Not all inks will react with water like this so you need to know which of your inks bleed and which don't.  Adirondack and Distress will definitely give up their colour even after they have dried.  Memento will bleed a little if you do it straight away, but the longer you leave it, the more fixed the colour becomes.  Archival doesn't work at all, and Versafine is also waterproof once dry.

If you find inks confusing, why not make some little swatch card and test each one out.  You need to try it on different types of paper or card because that can make a big difference too. 


Hope you're enjoying the blog, the team are certainly cooking up some gorgeous projects for you, aren't they!  Don't forget to check out our Shop Blog too where you'll find even more to inspire you.

Happy creating!


8 comments:

  1. What a lovely card Glenda and yes doing swatches like that certainly helps me remember which inks do what
    Have a great weekend
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has become one of my favourite techniques after you taught it way back in 2010 & I still have those test swatches with which I learnt so much. I alays love anything brown so this ticks all my boxes. I particularly like the way your flower panels are the same but different - that's such a versatile set of stamps with the ability to create any number of combinations. The stencilled background compliments the design beautifully with the way that it fades inwards from bottom right & top left.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful sepia design Glenda and using those pretty Orchids. I love the stencilled background which complements it perfectly, and the three panels stand out so well using the brown card to layer them. A truly elegant card. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card Glenda, very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful orchids and some wise words too! Cheers Glenda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so beautiful! I like it how you can make such subtile shades with just a bit water...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I'm seeing results like this I think maybe I should be a stamper! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - it brings a little ray of sunshine into our day when we know our work is appreciated!